Behavioral Health Conditions
Relatively few people find it possible to quit drinking or smoking and get on with their lives without turning elsewhere for help. But for those who are addicted to drinking or smoking, it’s impossible to make the change without getting some kind of outside assistance.
For medication information, use the Medication Guide.
CAGE-AID is a commonly used, 5- question tool used to screen for drug and alcohol use.The CAGE Assessment is a quick questionnaire to help determine if an alcohol assessment is needed. If a person answers yes to two or more questions, a complete assessment is advised.
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) Treating Substance Use Disorders: A Quick Reference Guide (2006), and Guideline Watch (April 2007): Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients With Substance Use Disorders, 2nd Edition.
- An appearance of unusual behavior, which is getting worse
- Being argumentative, isolated, irritable and/or irresponsible
- Demonstrating poor judgment, risky or reckless behavior
- Breaking rules
- Withdrawing from activities that involve others
- Decreased interest in activities
- Absenteeism and/or tardiness, particularly on Mondays
- Decreased productivity and ability to focus
- Changes in appearance, or a lack of attention to appearance